I don’t know about you, but when I wake up, I’m HUNGRY! This is my go-to, “prepare the night, day or week before” recipe that I can just pull from the fridge when I’m in a hurry. Pile on some homemade yogurt to make a parfait or just eat it as is. After a bowl full of this your body will have what it needs to power through the morning!
The beauty of this recipe is in its flexibility. Easily substitute other grains for the wheat berries and switch up the ratios of honey and vinegar to better match your pallet. Enjoy!
- 1 cup cooked wheat berries*
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh finely chopped basil
- Rosemary sprigs to taste (add sprigs to water when cooking)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Serve warm or cold. Try mixing with your favorite yogurt to create a filling breakfast.
- *To cook the wheat berries, simmer in water or your liquid of choice (one part grain to three parts water) for 45-60 minutes. Once the texture of the grain is to your pleasing, strain off any additional liquid.
- Hull-less barley, oats, rye, spelt or triticale could easily be substituted in this recipe.