Date: March 21st, 2014
Location: Northfield, MA
Four Star Farms is a diversified family farm growing a variety of crops on roughly 275 acres. Our family has farmed in the Pioneer Valley for more than 25 years and takes pride in the level of quality that we pass along to our customers through every one of our products. We have a sincere and passionate commitment to do what is best for the environment, our farmland, our farm, our employees and our family.
The farm historically grew landscaping crops exclusively but over the past decade has diversified to raise a mix of crops – sod and a variety of food crops (several types of small grains and hops.) Roughly half of our land is devoted to raising our primary crop, turf. At 7 acres we now have New England’s largest hop growing operation and plan to continuing to increase production of this exciting new crop. The remainder of the farm is used to grow a mix of small grains such as heritage corn; spelt; rye; buckwheat; triticale; several types of wheat; barley; and more.
We not only grow our own products but we also process many of them as well. At harvest we combine, dry and clean all our grains. We have a Meadow’s stone mill and grind our grains into flour every week for sale and self distribution to some of the top restaurants, food co-ops and bakeries in Massachusetts. We harvest, dry, compact and package our hops into retail and wholesale packages and regularly host customer events to increase the exposure of our products.
- A valid drivers license;
- A track record of showing up on time and working to completion of a job;
- Ability to lift 50# repeatedly;
- Ability to follow directions, ask questions, pay attention to detail; be organized; and
- Good customer service skills
- Experience working outside on either a farm or doing landscaping;
- Experience driving a tractor;
- Basic trades skills such as engine repair, carpentry, welding, etc . . . a plus;
- Experience operating heavy equipment such as excavators, backhoes, and front end loaders
Being a diversified farm there are many different jobs that must be completed on a daily and weekly basis and everyone pitches in to help with virtually all portions of the farm operation. We seek to fill a variety of positions – seasonal (spring only positions and spring through late fall positions) and for the exceptional candidate/employee a year round opportunity exists. All positions may require limited weekend work, depending on the seasonal needs of the farm. Some examples of job responsibilities to be performed are:
- Driving tractors for mowing sod fields, along farm roadways and field edges and the hop yard;
- Using forklifts to move pallets of sod and bulk bags of grain
- Cleaning grains on specialized equipment
- Milling flour and packaging flour and raw grains
- Manual work weeding, stringing, and training hop plants
- Assisting with irrigation laying hose & pipe and setting up irrigation units
Please call (413) 498-2968 Monday – Thursday 7:00-4:00, or e-mail: Jacob@fourstarfarms.com